Kale is one of the most nutritious veggies out there and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin C, beta carotene, and dietary fiber. When added to healthy whole wheat pasta, this is one meal you won’t want to miss!
Recipe Nutritional Information:
Estimated Total Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Calories per Serving: 520
12 oz whole wheat pasta
2 small or 1 very large sweet potato (about 7 inches in diameter), cubed
1 bunch kale (about 2 cups), ribs removed and cut into strips
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. While pasta water is heating to a boil, prepare vegetables. Clean and dry potato and kale. Cube potato, skin on. Remove ribs (non-leafy stalk-like piece) from kale and chiffonade (cut into long, thin strips). Peel and slice garlic.
2. When water has boiled, add pasta to water.
3. As pasta cooks, begin to cook the vegetables. Place oil in a hot sauté pan on high heat, add garlic, and cook 1 minute.
4. Add kale, toss a few times, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes more. At this time lower the heat to medium-low (the pasta should be ready).
6. Strain pasta and immediately add to pan with kale and potato.
7. Toss, season with salt and pepper (as needed), and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
8. Serve in a bowl and top pasta with 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.