You’d never know this version of a classic eggplant hero is so low in fat – it’s that delicious!
Recipe Nutritional Information:
Estimated Total Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Calories per Serving: 529
1 large eggplant
2 cups flour
1 cup egg substitute in wide bowl
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
10 large slices Italian bread (approx 4 ½ by 3 ½ by ½ inch each)
1 ¼ cups tomato sauce
1 ¼ cups mozzarella cheese
1. Slice eggplant length-wise into five even pieces. Sprinkle both sides of each piece generously with salt and set aside on a cooling rack over cookie sheet or your kitchen sink (this is called “sweating”).
2. After 15 minutes, pat the eggplant dry and discard the liquid.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
4. Add salt and pepper to bread crumbs on a plate or in a wide bowl. Pour flour onto a second plate or into a wide bowl.
5. Coat eggplant with flour, then egg wash, and finally bread crumbs.
6. Discard leftover flour and bread crumbs.
7. Coat skillet with nonstick spray and cook eggplant on medium-high for approximately 8 minutes each side.
8. Slice roll lengthwise and place eggplant slice on top. Cover eggplant with ¼ cup sauce and sprinkle ¼ cup cheese over sauce. Leave open-faced; repeat for other buns.
9. Bake at 425 degrees F for approximately 5 minutes; if your cheese isn’t quite melted, flip the oven over to broil but be sure to keep a close eye on it!